1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sight for sore eyes! COVID Vaccine!

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by mescalita, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear you both got them! My wife is a teacher and got both of hers almost 2 months ago, but has been teaching virtually until about a week ago. I do work critical to national security/worked on the covid response as some here know and go into work often yet, according to our state, am apparently less deserving. I got fed up with the weekly pre-registration emails which belied nothing insofar as when it was my turn, so I called the M&T Bank stadium vaccination number (Ravens stadium), told them I’m not from the state but heard they’re giving out appointments. They said they didn’t care, appreciated my honesty and signed me up immediately, and when I told them again today I’m not a MD resident, the national guard person checking me in goes “it’s fine man, we’re all in this together”. It’s nice to know some folks care. Sorry for the rant lol but the rigid, one size fits all approach Virginia is employing is leaving a lot of whom, and this is my opinion, are deserving out to dry.

I’m hoping more folks in our state get a shot (no pun intended) to get the vaccine in the near term, especially those people who have to go into work as opposed to being 100% virtual which is the case for a lot of folks right outside of DC.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh no worries, I completely understand your rant. Especially those stupid email reminders. It sucks you had to go through all of that but glad you were able to finally get it too. Heck, my husband is a government employee working with the Military on the base, his job told him to get it where he can. The system is definitely broken and I really don't see it changing.

Friends 25th Wedding Anniversary!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh, yeah I completely agree. On one hand, if the state were dishing out vaccines at a better clip, I would have patiently waited since I want others to get it as well. Unfortunately, as you saw, the process has been so shitty compared to a lot of other states that I figured what the hell, might as well wake up at 6am Sunday to drive to Baltimore but it ended up being worth it haha.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in 1B in Virginia. Never got a notice from the DOH to sign up for a vaccine appointment until 3 days after I drove 5 hrs RT to get my 1st one from Walgreens. Of course there were no appointments available. The week before my 2nd shot, I got my second DOH notice. Again no appointments available.

A friend's husband and I went to Abingdon for our shots. She, her mother and sister went to Bristol. There was a woman there who had driven over 5 hours one way from NOVA to get her shot!

Curious. Did you do it through a pharmacy or the MD Dept. of Health? I have a friend in Baltimore and we tried signing him up in PA because he was eligible there, but not in MD. The Walgreens and CVS websites wouldn't allow it because it was out of his jurisdiction. They expanded eligibility last Tues and he got his first shot at M&T Stadium on Friday.

Edit: @LB9 I read further and saw that you answered my question.

One of the biggest problems we have in Virginia is that there's no safeguard to keep just anyone from signing up for the appointments. My aunt sent me a link for an event that said 75 plus only. I told her that I was ineligible. She says" don't worry about it. Put in your correct information and it'll take you anyway. Your Cousin Jim just signed up for it." He wasn't eligible. But he got the shot. I wasn't going to do that, but it's very frustrating to be eligible and not be able to get an appointment. They really should have come up with some system where you had to enter a reference number to schedule an appointment.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Moderna Malaise update: My wife was pretty out of it yesterday (round two was Saturday morn). Slept most of the day, except when on the couch watching Disney flicks with me delivering alternating bowls of soup and ice cream. Moderate chills and an elevated temp. She appears to be back to normal today. I seem to have dodged it. Got in my daily exercise but did crap out a bit earlier than normal last night. No chills, no aches other than a slightly sore arm.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I'm hearing that a lot here in the Hampton Roads area. They should've just open it up to everyone since this way isn't working according to their own guidelines.

Friends 25th Wedding Anniversary!
  7. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I know Baltimore may be a ways away, however, have you checked WV? I see you're from southwest VA so, assuming you're near West Virginia, apparently they're akin to Maryland insofar as vaccinating folks from out of state. It was pretty remarkable, I kept telling the folks in Baltimore I'm from out of state but they even acknowledged at one point, "there's a lot of no shows, and we'd rather vaccinate you than throw it away." If my wife didn't sign me up, I would have kept on waiting, however, I figured if I was 1) telling the truth about everything; 2) told the vaccine folks multiple times I'm from out of state and 3) they were still okay with it, I didn't feel like I was doing anything morally wrong. Initially I did, however, when I found out that there were quite a few no shows and vaccines were being thrown away, I presume(d) that they used that logic to vaccinate others. I did have an appointment for what it's worth, I didn't just show up (it was set 4-5 days prior last week if memory serves).

I know this sounds ridiculous, but, even if for a fleeting moment, I also felt like I was finally deserving of the vaccine as well.

8. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got Moderna #2 today, and about to celebrate by getting myself into some:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You’d have to return for your second poke as well.

10. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us know how you feel tomorrow lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, that's not a horrible thing ;)

But my understanding is this isn't correct. In WA, every stupid webform I've gone through to try to get an appointment asks if you need a 1st or 2nd dose. Some places will schedule the 2nd dose at the time you get the first, but not everywhere. So they seem to PREFER if you get it in the same place, but it's not required.

12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the link you provided, it looked like the provider of the first poke in NV was arranging the second.

DFC17587-5822-4B22-93E7-1DA61E6DFC5A.png

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I vaguely remember the web form I used had the first/second question as well, which was close to useless, since I signed up for my first appointment officially one day before my age group opened and nobody in my age group had been eligible for their first shot yet. I figure that with all of the confusion, it's probably best to offer that option for those who somehow got the first shot and no appointment for the second.

OBTW, two days and counting for the second! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got my 2nd dose of the Pfizer this morning. Will report back as to if I develop any symptoms

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  15. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got Moderna first shot Friday PM. Had headache pretty rough for about 24 hours and slowly subsided over the 25-48 hour mark. Not particularly looking forward to the second one, but is what it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess who has an appointment for a Pfizer first dose on Saturday?

ME!!!! :woohoo:

• Love Love x 12
    • Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wrong answer, it's me!

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in major luck last night as I was at my local Walgreens getting a prescription, and they knew they were going to have some vaccines left over and I got my first shot (Moderna)! I only really have a really really sore arm today, but that seems to be it (for now at least!). I get my second shot end of April.
    It's going to be nice to start being able to do things again!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  19. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After spending weeks looking for an appointment for my step dad who is 82 and finally finding one for him, I figured I'd wait and let others more needy get it before me. I am under 65 but I am overweight so I am eligible now. My husband booked an appointment through work for mid April so I figured I try and find an appointment for myself. To my complete surprise after trying several times I was able get an immediate appointment for the next day (today). I logged back in to see if I could get one for my husband, but nothing. Tried half an hour later and got an appointment right before mine. I guess people grab spots and have 20 minutes register before it gets released back so I got luck and either someone cancelled or didn't follow through. So we are both getting vaccinated today. Depending on when we get the second shot we should be "fully vaccinated" days before our May trip. Not sure what vaccine will be available to us until we get there.

Honestly I am one of those who is not comfortable getting this shot for various reasons. I realized that some of my fears are not rational and that I can research all I want and find information to either ease those fears or add to them so no googling for me today. I hope like hell that I don't one day regret the decision to get these shots but I think the way I found shots for both of us at the perfect time in a close location is a good sign.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    166832748_10220956701561453_1517824198026875300_n.jpg

• Funny Funny x 16
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.