1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Guess who’s going to be on WOF!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by the_9th_island, Jan 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaygee77

Jaygee77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nowadays, the initial Jeopardy test is done online. I think you can take it once per year. Still 50 questions, and the generally-accepted sentiment is that you need to get 35 correct to be eligible to advance. That seems accurate, as I typically record myself taking the test and score it afterwards (with the help of Google). I've never topped 32/33 myself, and subsequently have never gotten a follow-up from them.

I'm the opposite - I can do all of the sports and wordplay questions, and most of the pop culture stuff, but it's the literature and fine arts stuff that gets me. In a perfect world, I might be able to get 35 if I knew all of the hard geography ones. But the chances of me getting 35/50 online AND on the subsequent in-person test would be pretty slim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'm sure they weed everyone out so only the best of the best make the cut. LOL, a game where nobody buzzes in would not attract that many viewers. :) I'm sure I would ace some categories and totally bomb on others.

One friend and cow-orker, back in the early 2000s, made some kind of first cut for the original Regis Philbin run of Millionaire and she asked me if I would be willing to be a Phone A Friend cohort, since she insisted that I was good at trivia. I agreed, but she never made it to air. I was thinking, and I know this is cheating, that it would be possible for me at home or in the office to quickly Google (LOL, or maybe it was still Alta Vista back then?) the questions I did not know as they came up.

Now the closest I ever got to anything like that was a couple of years ago at Defcon, where they have "Hacker Jeopardy", which is a very drunken and bawdy R-rated (X-rated?) Jeopardy-like game played with teams of three.

One of the pre-qualified teams did not show, and no other pre-qualified teams were all there, so they asked to the audience if any three would like to play. The guy to my left (I did not know him) kinda pointed to me and a guy to his left and we both nodded yes and he quickly raised his hand, but another trio was quicker with the hand-raising.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I passed the written test for Millionaire multiple times but never got past the interview.

This past fall I was chosen to participate in a company-wide work-related Jeopardy competition. I work for a VERY large company and was on a team representing one region out of about 16 or so. We didn't make it past our divisional games, but there's always next year.

• Like Like x 2
  4. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say no.
    Trips tent to be over inflated on the cost side.
    From a 2018 article from a person that won a trip:

When are you going to Antigua? Who are you taking with you?

I forfeited the trip to Antigua. The trip was valued at almost $7,000. The income tax on that would be about $1,700. If someone offered me a trip to Antigua for $1,700, would buy it? Probably not. So I forfeited the trip. I decided I would rather save the tax money for something else, maybe a trip to Australia. I do not receive any cash value for the trip.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @the_9th_island Congrats on your big win on WOF.
    I watched today.
    I'll be interested in your report once posted.

6. the_9th_island

the_9th_island High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t think here is such a thing. I got 5/6 in the group round (stupid hundred dollar bill of rights) and most of the solo puzzles. They want good puzzle solvers and everyone is a good solver, they may just not appear that way on tv because they are nervous, distracted by all hullabaloo etc. With that said, if you have an outstanding personality they may take on a less than stellar puzzle solver because the wheel is always a factor and the best puzzle solver does not always win (that’s why I love the toss ups - shows you who the good solvers are).

• Like Like x 1
  7. the_9th_island

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No cash option though you can decline the trip if you don’t want to pay taxes. The cool thing is that the trip comes with $1000. So they added $9300 to my total for the trip but really it was $8300 plus $1000 spending money. The trip is also a little different as it’s a guided tour (most of the prize puzzles are airfare and hotel but not during Collette travel week) and when I looked up the price of my trip it was $2699-$2999 per person depending on when you went. Plus airfare from your closed airport (you do NOT have to fly back to LA). So figuring airfare is ~$1000 each (unlike me, I suspect Collette does not check airfares day and night and book flights at odd hours to get the best possible deal, esp as they have set tour times and so need to fly you in/out at specific times). I would say the true value of the trip (for me on the east coast) is about $8500-$9000 which is pretty close to the $9300 estimate (and if you were coming from west coast it’s probably even closer to that $9300). Now I have seen some other $9000 trips to the Caribbean for 7 days and I am like “how is that even possible, I know that hotel!” but for the guided tours it seems about right.

• Informative Informative x 4
  8. maxev

maxev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Wheel of Fortune on. Where is @the_9th_island ? She’s supposed to be on every week!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. the_9th_island

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it def made me catch the game show contestant bug! I actually got a call from a press your luck producer today (I applies after my WOF show aired) who said he just wanted to chat quickly about when my WOF show aired. Apparently I put Jan 20 but not the year. When he found out it aired this year he told me they usually have a year to two sit out period and to try again later. Drats. @Dancingkookie I thought of you as you probably qualify now!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. CoconutWilly

CoconutWilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aww, I missed it. Will try to catch it on "on demand"
    I actually had a phone interview for The Chase but didn't pass. In my defense, I was driving at the time so couldn't concentrate. At least that's my story.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dancingkookie

Dancingkookie High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yessssss!!!!! Ok I can confirm it is a one year cooling off period upon the date on your check - they say episode air date but it’s not true so just an fyi. Oh that’s exciting!!!! Let’s do a show together. We would kick butt!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. the_9th_island

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to come and find this thread to figure out the trip report reference!

Congrats!

Time to sue them though because that is definitely not a ‘thing’. :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. the_9th_island

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello VMB friends! Just a heads up that my episode is being aired again tonight (Friday Aug 23) on ABC! Also have a huge favor to ask - I have it recorded on youtube tv but never figured out how to record it and save it to my laptop (youtube tv has firewalls and you can’t play it on your laptop and record it from there). I think @ColoVegPlayer and @maxev are techie people? Any helpful hints?

Also, I have since then taken my trip and it was pretty awesome. I’m not usually a group tour person but it was pretty awesome just showing up and having someone do everything else!

• Like Like x 4
  15. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buddy was on it a few months ago
    Came in second
    Did better then I thought he would do
    The winner got a puzzle where she could go till she guessed wrong and that put her over the top IMG_3912.png

• Love Love x 1
  16. maxev

maxev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We need a TR on your trip!

You can watch YouTube on your iPhone with Screen Recording on, then edit/crop down the video.

IMG_5964.jpeg

17. ColoVegPlayer

ColoVegPlayer Speed Running for Noir

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad maxev knew how, because I have absolute zero idea on how it works. Never used YouTube TV before.

18. maxev

maxev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pluto (free) streams live broadcasts and has archives of past WoF but unfortunately only goes to season 37.

IMG_5967.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  19. the_9th_island

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @maxev - so youtube tv actually somehow blocks the iphone recording. I can record from youtube and other places but for some reason not from youtube tv! They are so sneaky….

20. Cageet

Cageet VIP Cow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, so it sounds like the app doesn't let you activate screen record. But how about the browser? Try watching from a browser at tv.youtube.com and then activate screen recording.

This seemed to work for me. I had tv.youtube.com up on my browser and was able to screen record it. I was on an Android phone though. And I don't really have Youtube TV activated. It was just the home page where they ask me to try it for free. There was a video running, so I thought that would be the same thing. And I tested it. Worked for me.

If they manage to block that for you on an iPhone, then they are really sneaky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.