1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What item(s) is still hard to find or low quantity in the stores now?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the most part our stores are well stocked. Even Charmin toilet paper is in good supply. Tortillas are still hit and miss - at least the brands I like. And the low carb tortillas-- I can never find. Vinegar -- Vinegar the shelves where the vinegar is kept is usually empty or just a few bottles of the expensive vinegars??? Olives - yes Olives - it may related to they have closed the serve yourself Olive bar at our HEB. I just find it odd that so many people like olives. There is a specific scent of Lysol that I like - I haven't been able to find it since this hoarding started. Chlorox and Lysol wipes - they are rarely in stock.

So on my list of still hard to find, Tortillas, olives, Vinegar, and Lysol.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just went grocery shopping today and saw yeast, flour, sugar, toilet paper, paper towels and things like that which have been in short supply. The most picked over sections were Campbell's Soup, for some strange reason, and pasta. They had a decent selection, but if you wanted something specific, you might have to make a compromise. Luckily I have a stockpile of that and didn't need any.

The only things I haven't been able to find anywhere in the stores here (although I haven't looked everywhere) are clorox wipes, KN95 masks and gloves. But that isn't surprising.

I haven't needed olives, but I saw some in jars when I was looking for something else. No self serve bars of anything in our stores. Even the bulk bins have been replaced with little prepackaged containers of what used to be in the bins. That's annoying when I need 2 tsp of something and have to buy a cup.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't looked in the cleaning or paper aisles of our local grocer in a few weeks, but I'm sure they are still rather barren. Pasta, rice and canned soup takes a hit every time. Well, brown rice doesn't. Funny on your tortillas, Val. Wazzup with Texas? We have plenty of the regional brands and stuff made a few miles away, corn and flour. All the ag products -- cow, poultry, pig, dairy, eggs, fruits and veggies typically are not a problem, but you might not get a specific brand or cut every time. I did order bleach online from Walmart this week and a big tub of hand sanitizer that was fairly priced; I had been making our own with culinary solvent and aloe. We were well stocked on Clorox wipes from a pre-COVID Costco trip and we don't exactly burn through them. Oh, flour is all but nonexistent most of the time and I haven't seen yeast since this began. But I was able to score King Arthur flour a few trips back. Ordered oatmeal and ground corn online from Bob's Red Mill.

4. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still no Lysol wipes or hand sanitizer

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found the last can of black olives last week on the store shelf so I snagged it. We’ve got tortillas out the wazoo but nobody uses them around here but me. I just got vinegar too so I can make a batch of peach habanero jelly. Wipes are like unicorns everywhere. Flour and oatmeal easy to get around here too. Most folks around here never used flour. They buy their cookies already baked.

6. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In NJ, still having an issue with paper products in particular. I ordered many more boxes of tissues than I intended from Walmart because I was almost out and had no idea if and when I'd be able to get them. Grocery stores have been hard hit on certain items at different times. I've had difficulty getting shredded cheese, yogurt, spaghetti sauce, ice cream, and frozen vegetables. I never know what will be out of stock when I order.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surgical masks have been out of stock perpetually at the drug stores for a very long time. Fortunately I have most of a box left.

I saw Quilted Northern in stock at the supermarket yesterday, and the meat department looked to be near normal.

8. cvkelz

cvkelz Extremely Low Roller- like, I barely roll at all.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same. Last weekend most of the Campbell's Soup was gone...plenty of Progresso and house brand, it was weird. I was looking for "cream of" variety and the only ones they had left were the Healthy Request kind which thankfully, were the kind I was looking for.

No disinfectant wipes of any kind, and for some reason all the Clorox toilet wand replacement pods have been gone every single time I look for them. Are people scared of a regular toilet brush and some elbow grease? Ended up ordering on Amazon.

My boss managed to find some gloves at Target a couple of weeks ago but could only get a couple boxes for our office. Thankfully my husband likes to buy in bulk and we have always used gloves in the kitchen for handling raw chicken and such so we have two more boxes in addition to the box each that have in our cars.

A couple weeks ago there was a random shortage of yogurt. Like the entire section was gutted except for a couple of small containers here and there. It was back to normal last weekend when I shopped.

9. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fresh chicken, pasta, and powdered mashed spuds.

No reason to go home yet.
  10. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thankfully not much now. I had to go to our local store today; Canadian Tire and even saw masks and hand sanitizer. I was shocked. People also weren't buying them in massive quantities (there was an imposed limit of course). At the grocery store sometimes various bread options are in short supply but that comes and goes. Apart from that nothing really sticks out. As long as beer doesn't run low I'll manage. Ironically several of our craft breweries have made an appeal for people to bring back their empties! Our Beer store had stopped taking returns in many locations and while they have started to accept them again several craft breweries are critically low on supply. Sorry about the derail; but hey, Beer!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been a week, since I last went shopping, but all types of disinfectants (wipes, sprays, bleach, hand sanitizers, etc.) were still hard to find, even during senior hours when we usually have first dibs on stuff. LOL I was surprised that the shelves were stocked with TP, but low on paper towels. Flour, other baking goods, and various can/dry goods were also in short supply. I probably don't have to go shopping again for at least a couple of weeks, so it'll be interesting to see if things have gotten better by then.

12. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that cheap beer quality has sunk in the last month. My theory is that the skilled brewmasters either got sick or used their paid vacation to stay home. Lotta funny tastes not bad but exotic. Milwaukee’s Best tasted like coconuts.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. rebirth

rebirth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny how low carb tortillas are easier to find than the whole wheat.

Rice in general is easier to find, low price rice is a bit harder.

By now, everyone should have enough TP.

Wipes, Lysol cleaners, and hand sanitizer are hard to find. Never bothered to look for masks and gloves.

14. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lysol spray and Crisco for some reason. I found Crisco yesterday and bought two small cans. They normally only have a large container on the shelves.

15. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just went shopping today. Still no Lysol spray or wipes. Funny y'all talking about tortilla shells because I picked some up today for the fish and chicken tacos.

But still...Where's the beef...Had to resort to ground turkey again.

Also picked up some TP.

16. jsadlak

jsadlak Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have an empty spray bottle fill a cap of bleach and fill the rest with water and this you can use to sanitize. I use this when I’m wiping down kitchen counters, wiping down groceries and other deliveries, etc.
    We have a couple canisters of Clorox wipes we use when out of the house like getting gas and stuff but the bleach water is easy and cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This reminded me. There was a big outbreak of COVID in Winnemucca, NV not too long ago and Dan and I were trying to figure out the cause. I learned that one of the producers of the dried potato flakes is in Winnemucca. I wondered if the outbreak happened there, like at the meat packing plants. I still don't know, but now my potato flake conspiracy theory has new threads now. ;)

Why were you shocked? Canadian Tire is awesome! We were on a trip in Canada and looked everywhere for a replacement hose for our camping stove. Nobody had one anywhere we looked and someone said, "Have you looked at Canadian Tire?" Dan wondered why an auto parts store would have camping equipment and then we discovered the wonder that is Canadian Tire. :haha: I think Dan still has his Canadian Tire money around here somewhere.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SoftSoap! I’ve looked everywhere! I like it for my kitchen sink. Clorox wipes and Lysol are still not in stock in my area. @Valgal did you notice at HEB in March and early May that in the spaghetti sauce aisle there was a bunch of Ragu but no other brand! Same thing with ranch style beans at my store. Should tell those grocery buyers not to buy so much of those brands!!

Happy birthday to me!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I service multiple stores in town and its hit and miss for different think in each store on different days.

Meat isn't in short supply, but we're sticking some odd ball stuff on the shelves lately just to have something to sell.

Toilet paper is plentiful in one store and light on paper towels while another will be heavy in paper towels and light on TP. We've also been getting some off brand paper products just to have something to sell. Pretty sure they got a deal on hospitality toilet paper as we sell single rolls without a bar code in every store.

Ramen noodles are fairly thin everywhere as are most cleaning solvents.

Rice, beans, and pasta take a hit every few days.

Wipes are fairly plentiful for us, but you gotta buy a 3 pack.

I see a lot of empty shelves in the juice section of the dairy, but I think that's more about not ordering enough to tide them over until the next truck.

Tortillas are much like orange juice.

"Normal" hand sanitizer brands are practically nonexistent, but the company has teamed up with some "think out of the box" companies who make it for us. One pharmacy college is making small bottles of sanitizer for us while a chemical company is making gallon jugs of the stuff.

I highly suggest changing your shopping days and times if the items you are looking for are in short supply. Most likely the stores will have them while being out of something else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today was our grocery day (every two weeks)

We found hand sanitizers in various sizes for the first time since this all began! :thumbsup:
    Plenty of TP and PT’s the last couple of trips.

HEB (which controls most of the grocery market in Texas) has been spotty depending on the location for:
    Flour tortillas (plenty of corn tortillas)
    Flour
    Pasta
    Vinegar

Hard/impossible to find at regular grocery store:
    * Disinfectant wipes and spray
    Disposable masks

* Tip to seniors. if you shop at Sam’s, Tues/Thur 7-9am is reserved for us and one of the staffers told me they almost always have disinfecting wipes and hard to find cleaners/sprays early those days but they go fast even with quantity limits. You can call ahead and they will tell you if a shipment came in.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.