1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any tips for indoor herb garden?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by gs32794, Sep 19, 2020.

1. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today's project -an indoor kitchen herb garden- is completed. Hoping my purple thumb doesn't kick in. Would appreciate any tips to make it flourish.

20200919_133740.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of those are going to come up much sooner than others, so be patient. Parsley in particular is a slow sprouter. In those peat pots, everything will dry out rapidly, so I hope you are ready to water frequently and have other pots to transplant them into after the have a set or two of real leaves (not the seed leaves that come up first). When you do, do not just plant pot and all as the instructions may say. Roots have a very hard time growing through the peat. Those plants have differing requirements, especially for heat, so don't be surprised if some fail to grow. I cannot imagine arugula, dill, or fennel grown indoors in a pot. They get too tall.

There is more but others can handle that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't had much luck with growing herbs indoors because we lack good sunlight with how our house is oriented. Dan bought me an AeroGarden for my birthday last year.

Like this one:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/AeroGarden-Harvest-Elite-Stainless-Steel/dp/B07CKVMXHR

It did a great job of providing fresh herbs through the winter. Then things got a little leggy and I had to cut them out and I put it away and grew the next batch in the garden outdoors. I think we'll do it again this winter, with a different selection. I will never use as much sage and thyme as they gave me to get started. And nowhere near enough cilantro and chives. :)

It's not cheap, but it's quite an efficient system and fits on a counter top or table in the corner. It's the only way I've ever been able to grow any veggies or herbs indoors.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Maxbet

Maxbet Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, those kind of herbs. Nevermind.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the aero garden earlier today. I find it interesting. Especially the grow light. It would allow me to easily place it somewhere the cat can't get to it. I'm going to see how it all goes with this. If there are 3 or 4 herbs that I really use alot. I may spring for the AG. I never have enough cilantro. It's the main reason I decided to give this a shot.

EDIT. Sonya you may already know about this but just in case.. You can customize the AG seed kits. Right now there's 20% off.

Custom Seed Kits - Seed Kits
    https://www.aerogarden.com/seed-kits/custom-seed-kit-pods.html

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  6. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a fish tank aqua garden for herbs! You can have fish, but it's not required. :)

Thanksgiving with my favorite, in our favorite place!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought the least expensive AeroGarden last winter because I don’t have enough natural light in my house to grow anything. The grow lights are bright and run about eighteen hours a day, I kept mine in my basement. Keep a container of water nearby so you can top it off without chlorine. Add food every two weeks (it alerts you) and reset the timer if you have a power outage. I moved the herbs outside when the weather permitted, helped give me an idea of which ones would survive our winters. The thyme and sage were particularly hardy.

Covid Ops
    The new carpet’s here!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did know that. Your post got me thinking about what I want to grow this winter. I already brought the box up from storage and am thinking about what I want to try. :)

Figures. :rolleyes: The ones I use the least are the hardest to kill.

I planted a tiny rosemary bush (4" pot at the nursery) outside and have been babying it. Now I think it's finally to the point I don't have to worry about cutting off "too much" from it. It has increased how often I make a roasted chicken. Stab a lemon, get a bunch of smashed garlic cloves and rosemary springs and shove them inside, season outside, roast. Make some rice or potato and steam or roast a veggie. DONE! My favorite kind of cooking. EASY!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas the Rosemary grows the size of shrubbery. I had a large plant surprise me by surviving two winters outside, the third one killed it. I could probably bring a cutting inside for the winter now that I know.

Covid Ops
    The new carpet’s here!
  10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually end up digging out & replacing my rosemary every 5 years or so because it gets too big - I don't use enough or remember to prune enough and it just goes crazy and outgrows its bed....I'm zone 6/7 border but if it survives the first winter, apparently it can survive anything ;-)

I've never had good luck with indoor herbs - I try every year to bring a couple indoors at the end of summer. Trying thyme this year, maybe globe basil. We have grow lights, though, so this year I might actually use them! My husband goes through "fancy" phases so the lights are his - he's doing orchids now, but those he keeps at his office. He's not using them at home for anything now so I think I'll be able to use....