1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2020 garden thread

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mescalita, Mar 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    bobby, is that your house, or a church? Whatever it is, wow! :thumbsup:

2. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I canned some pickles. Monday. Now I have a lot more cucumbers. Will be canning again on Sunday.

[​IMG]

And the new crop.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    back to weeds - is anyone familiar with Preen - can I use it in the garden after my pumpkin seeds hatch, to stop weeds sprouting up in the non-growing parts?

Or will it stay in the soil though, and prevent seed growth next year?

This year I used it in my wood chip and stone areas for the first time, and it really helped. Previously I only used it in this little flower bed that I would later plant flowers in, and then it didn't seem to work, but I think that was because I worked up the soil ?

4. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My pride- since the vegs are a long way from production- is my iris garden. I love showy flowers in the front garden and last year DH split the tubers. Often they take a while to regroup and send up flowers, but since we had an easy winter, every one of them bloomed so I have several dozen flowers---6 different colors all in bloom. Dh put in a few dozen gladiola bulbs for blooming this summer. He staggers the planting so we have them all summer and fall....another gorgeous showy flower.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I recall (and I'm not an agro-scientist!) preen works by creating a barrier on the surface (I visualize it like ice on top of a pond) - if you disturb it, things can grow. So if your seeds are already up, I think it should work now against weeds. I've never been able to get the timing right to use it for vegetables but it's great on mulched areas where I'm not digging!

6. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's kind of what I was thinking. It says on the box can put Preen on anything non-flowering even before. Can't think of non-flowering veggies except potatoes ? Anyway it listed a bunch of vegetables safe to use after emergence, but didn't list pumpkins. After they come up, going to put the Preen on the main areas at least to keep the grasses down, last year was terrible.

7. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On another note, haven't been reading closely the squirrel wars, but now having my own battle - they keep digging up my annual flowers! This morning they ran away with an entire plant! $6!! :grrr:

Do they eat the roots?? I have this spray but it gets washed away with rain.

8. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crafty little bastards. I have tried a lot of things. I haven’t found a sure fire way to stop them. I have used the rough lava rocks in the planters. It helps for a while. Over time the rocks sink in the soil and they are able to push the rocks aside and dig.

10. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My caladiums are starting to grow and spread. My front flower beds are quite shady.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  11. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty yard Val.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm afraid that Coleus would be a deer buffet salad line at my house.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to resort to putting rat wire around the inside edge of my planters. I daydream about finding the groundhog all tangled up in it so I can bash it's head in with a golf club. I'll tell the County Animal Control it attacked me.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As noted earlier, there's really not a load we can do here, unlike previous homes. I was digging around for a photo to send a friend and I stumbled across this shot of a chilopsis we planted in Riverside. It was just gorgeous. It's shitty-hot enough here half the year so we're thinking about a few desert-y touches when we re-do the weak-ass effort of a front yard that our cheap-ass developer put in, maybe a mesquite or a palo verde. The front faces west and a canopy like that would be nice the latter half of the day. Anyway, here's that desert willow:

IMG_0021.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Week #7: Oregon Spring & Beefsteak Tomatoes, lots of Supertunias, Coleas, Sweet Potato Vine, and Herbs. Bonus pic of our neighbor having breakfast. Um+8B%6yTKeZ%65aVWVk5A.jpg 2Q932ca3Tr+gvxngVLmMUA.jpg fPVIX4suQQuZZzqCZtAzxA.jpg W8r+ZVmESp22NcBf1xtqJA.jpg u6qNy3qDTS2HdYk+kH75Vw.jpg YjExwjTaRPKF1VMDdmEntA.jpg QB5glZtoQmWslAZZE005cA.jpg fullsizeoutput_1cac.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just transplanted 7 tomatoes into the ground/garden, and my last seedling starts into growth pots. I debated planted straight into the garden (what I originally planned to do) but they really are too small still. I lost a few doing the transplant despite trying to be super gentle. Oh well. I had way too many damn seedlings. My husband just rolls his eyes at me but I am incapable of thinning tomato seeds intentionally....

Started pulling out cilantro - it has started to bolt (I froze a bunch last month). Romaine getting close to done, butter and...whatever the other looseleaf husband planted are doing well but getting crowded & leggy (and they'll start going from the heat soon....) Blueberries starting to ripen, and the cherry - need to go pick tomorrow morning when it's still cool. I'll try to take some pics - I end up taking photos on the phone but then always posting here from my laptop ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Posting photos is really easy on Tapatalk.

18. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By the time I get around to putting photos on laptop, it's so late..

My pumpkins are up already!

My Topatiens are getting big...

I don't need more tomato plants, but can't see them staying in this hanger all summer [emoji57] IMG_20200606_125325612.jpg IMG_20200606_125223110_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]
    Recent shot of my red hot pokers [emoji7] (not a Tapatalk VIP so it won’t let me upload the full resolution shot. Bummer)

• Like Like x 2
  20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won't use Tapatalk. And I wish I could get rid of my red hot pockets but husband loves....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.