1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Something you bought that worked out better than even advertised

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Magic Bullet. Add some liquid and it makes a nice consistency of cat food that you can suck up in a syringe for feeding the sick ones. Kind of like baby food, but you can doctor it up with calories and supplements. Also much cheaper. Fast, easy to clean, comes with lid to save some for later. This was not my original intended use, but that's what it ended up being.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This Dyson V8 Absolute. There are of course newer models out, but this thing is worth it. When I bought my house, I took one look around and this was one of the first things I bought. I have tile, carpet, wood laminate, and hardwood. I can use this on all of them. And I have three levels so this converts to handheld to make vacuuming the stairs waaaaay easy. Super lightweight. And cordless. Lifesaver!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the Dyson V6. The V8 came out a few months after I bought mine. If I knew the new model was coming out, I would have waited. LOL Although, even the less powerful V6 does a pretty good job. The only problem I had with mine is that the rechargeable battery pack died and Dyson no longer sells them, but I found a generic replacement battery pack on Amazon that's been working okay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the Dyson V8 Animal and hated it because the battery just didn’t last at all. I gave it away but really think I had a dud that I should have returned because everyone that has them seems to really love them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had my large Smartpot Crockpot forever and I love it. “This Is Us” has often made me think I should probably replace it but then again, “This Is Us” probably has me so I’d never leave the house or not jump up if I had it going overnight to check it ever again.

6. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too.
    It's fascinating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like my V8 but I agree that the battery life is about 60% of what it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had two Ford Escapes - gen one and gen two.

The first one (06) went 191K with minimal maintenance costs, an alternator, and two rear ABS sensors before we dumped it off for a small sum. Moved into a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid and we drove that 176K before we dumped it off. That thing got a new exhaust due to rust (we're in the salt/snow belt).

I and my wife beat the living snot out of those things. Never failed us, either of them. The newer Escapes look horrible and we moved onto the 4Runner.

I also have a plasma Panasonic TV, model S-50. They've since left the US market...it has a phenomenal picture and has been our primary TV since we bought it in 2009. I'd love a newer TV but it is revered I guess in the TV industry. In fact, I went into Best Buy and the sales guy asked to buy it from us if we bought a new TV. That made our decision not to get a new one, ha.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have the bigger one...and just returned it today. The gears broke on its third use for us. We were super disappointed! Got it as a bday gift in July. My wife literally just text me and said I can go spend $345 on a birthday gift now, haha.

10. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 1992 I bought a new Toyota PU for just over $7k when Regan put tariffs on Japanese imports. I stuck a For Sale sign on it around 2002 when the truck hit almost 200k miles and sold it for $2k to my next-door neighbor. I told him that I was worried about his decision, but he knew that I had taken care of it.

My neighbor died October 2018 and his family drove it to Bellingham, WA. His repairs: Brakes and shock absorbers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander with about 55,000 miles. I have had one of the window motors replaced. It wouldn't stay up. That was about $400. I use nothing but synthetic oil. I plan to driver her until she drops. I was told I had about 6000 miles left on the brake pads.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, cars. I was in the store one day and I saw a couple guys drive up in a Scion XB. WEIRD looking thing. I actually went outside and asked them about it. Yeah...I want me one of those. There weren't any on the Toyota lot so I ordered one. It showed up Oct 2005. I had never even sat in or driven one. It's likely not worth enough to sell, so I'll probably have it forever. Or until it quits running. Just turned over 80,000 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One might be surprised - used cars are in demand right now and the XB is no longer in production (but still is popular in a niche way), which is sad :cry: because assuming one ever got made to self-drive it would be perfect for me :thumbsup: I’ll have to “settle” for a Kia Soul (I actually like the looks of it more than the XB :))

• Like Like x 1
  14. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might be based on my lower expectations but to be honest, the first thing that comes to mind for me is my C class Mercedes. I expected it to be nice and possibly a nightmare to deal with, but so far has been a very good buy. I almost hate that it is so good, because it's not fun and I'm a sporty car person; its not sporty, but I cant justify getting rid of it because it's so good. I'm so spoiled by a few of the little weird features of it that it will be hard to move on to something different when the time comes. By then, more cars will have some of those features I'm sure, but it has well functioning but not overly complicated (to use) technology, it's comfortable for about 3 or 4 hours, its V6 has more horsepower than the 5.4L V8 in my F150 without any turbo charging or forced induction, and manages to occasionally exceed 30mpg on trips. Plus it has a huge trunk for a coupe, and the back seats fold down easily so you can put bigger stuff in there like a hatchback. I brought home all the new flooring and large mirror in it from Lowes when I redid my bathroom and had no trouble fitting it all in there. It's still in the relatively low mileage range, but so far has probably been the best car I've owned overall, and the cost of ownership has been lower than expected and satisfaction higher than expected (knock on wood)

• Love Love x 1
  15. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Recent purchases, but promising so far...

Somehow shortly after quarantine began, I fell into the habit of checking Best Buy's website for their "Deal of the Day" on a regular basis. They normally have between 10-15 items per day at a significant discount.

Which brings me to this thread. For a few years I'd been curious about the new pressure cookers/Instapot things, and I eventually got a Crock Pot brand one for an amazing price from Best Buy. Shortly thereafter I found a chicken thigh recipe I love and have made several times. The pressure cooker has all sorts of settings like saute, steaming, slow cooking, etc. Really like it so far.

The one feature it didn't have was an air fryer, but a couple days ago one of those turned up as one of the Deals of the Day, so I got that now, too. My daughter and I christened it by making homemade french fries in it yesterday. They turned out delicious and pretty easy to make! (Although time-consuming with soaking the cut potatoes in water for at least an hour beforehand.)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.