1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Share Your Current Situation

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Retired, SS and pension checks every months. Right now, now worries. Making more then when I worked.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah. I forgot about that. :) Me 2

• Like Like x 5
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the same. I'm retired also but even when I was actively working, my off days were often spent at home with my family. So this stay at home order is no big game changer for me, except I miss getting in my car and just cruising to the grocery stores or visiting the beaches and parks whenever I wanted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Sprocket

Sprocket Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am still working, but my wife has a heart condition, so every day is stressful. Was supposed to be leaving for palm springs in two weeks, very dissapointed. planted the garden last week, and then had a cold snap! going to have to do that again. This whole situation is surreal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blessed beyond words. Truly blessed.

Yes, I am in my tiny NYC apartment in the dead center of this pandemic, but I am healthy as is every member of my family, including my parents 8 hours away, thank God. I work for a large corporation that is a model of how to treat employees. My paychecks, etc. haven't missed a beat, and while nothing is guaranteed and one can never get "too comfortable", I don't have concerns about being laid off, so much so that I felt comfortable making substantial contributions to help a number of causes tied to dealing with this pandemic.

I now know just one person removed a number of people who have died and have friends and a mentor who have the virus but they are doing okay at home. But, honestly, every day everyone in my family doesn't have the virus is a super blessed day. The odds are that someone in my family, or I, will get it at some point but at this point if I do I just hope it is well after the "peak" so that the hospital system in NYC is less overwhelmed if and when I need treatment.

I hope to be back in Vegas in August -- just decided to cancel my July 4th plans as my comfort level is just not yet there and I don't think it will get there -- but I told my mother I don't want her on a plane traveling to Vegas until there is a vaccine or some kind of treatment that works for the immune-compromised.

Edited: And I'm like @SMG and @Electroguy563. Except for a roommate during my freshman year in college and a year or two three times, I've lived alone for more than 30 years. I enjoy my own company and in that respect I know I'm likely doing much better than most having to stay inside. My apartment is small but it is big enough for me and I feel safe and comfortable in it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 7
  6. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Retired and just trying to stay home. We live in a small ranch on 2 1/2 acres in South Jersey and the numbers are just starting to climb locally. With temps in the high 50's it's just a little too cool to count on being outside everyday but some days get into the high 60's and then I'm doing some yard work (which I normally loathe).

My real concern is my husband who had a major medical crash on Super Bowl weekend and is now tied to an oxygen machine 24/7. If he gets this he wouldn't survive it. I only leave the house to go for a walk in the park or hit the grocery store.

My bank account is expanding as I can't spend the money I usually do each month. My waist is expanding because I can't burn off the food I keep eating at this 24 hour buffet. My mailbox is almost empty everyday because no one is advertising at this time.

• Like Like x 10
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A silly observation within all these great/moving tales.

Back from the market, decided Th afternoon would be lighter than tomorrow. They'e stepped up cleaning efforts and have sneeze shields for the checkers, tape lines wherever anyone would congregate. The place was well stocked. Forget the usual not-there items, TP and most anything sanitizing. Not all shelf-stable products were there but substitutions were available if not narrowed in on something finite. Pasta all but gone still and despite the crush brown rice just doesn't appear all that popular. lol Plenty of eggs -- limit one pack -- and plentiful dairy save butter ... nada. Meat section in good shape. Maybe it's the valley effect but produce was full save garlic; bananas a bit low. Bread supplies and diversity back up quite a bit. No rationing in the beer and booze aisles, that's for sure.

A gal was pushing a cart through the parking lot, toward the corral. She had an open bag of Cheetos in the kiddie seat and she was just munching away. I guess they say you can't ingest it. At least no kids sneezed on the CC/ATM terminal like that little shit at the post office on Tuesday.

Again, per above, given the state of much of the nation and world, we are lucky.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  8. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm good. A bit antsy, but I'm an introvert so I'm fine. Still working, but full time telework. This is the third week. We've been under limited interaction in the DMV for two weeks and then Monday I think it was, Governor Hogan implemented stay-at-home. Essential businesses still open, non-essential closed, you are free to go to the grocery store and whatnot and outdoor recreation. The police have already said they won't be randomly stopping people to see if you're supposed to be out. Metro is about 85% shut down b/t buses and trains so no one is going anywhere that way, either. I'm in my last semester of school, so one class was already online, the in-person class moved to Zoom after an extended Spring Break, and graduation is not happening any time soon. I'm staying busy with work, schoolwork, and working out at home. Keeping healthy food in the house and no junk. Staying in touch with people via text as usual with occasional Duo calls. And also still healthy (unlike a cousin who was just diagnosed w/COVID and is special needs and his immunosuppressed mother, my aunt, is his main caretaker - ouch).

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 3
  9. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one of my biggest fears. We live in a small house. My husband's lungs shut down 2 months ago and he's on oxygen. Although he doesn't need a caretaker, I'm the one that is the 'doer' in the house now. What if I catch this. What do we do?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  10. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I retired earlier this month at a tender age of 58. I feel like I 'got out' just at the right time. Most fellow employees are now working from home, but I don't know how that would have worked for my position as many of my duties involved face-to-face transactions or over-the-phone payments. However, I did not expect a pandemic to interfere with my plans to enjoy my retirement.

I am fairly healthy with no underlying health issues...ok, I have arthritis!! I could stand to lose a few pounds so I have found great enjoyment on getting out of my house and going for about an hours walk for the last week or more. I'm telling you, fresh air and sunshine are a game changer in this thing we call life as we know it. Mother Nature decided to throw a wrench in that plan however and today from my picture window I have seen rain, freezing rain and snow!!!! The weather won't get nice enough to get out again for almost a week. :blink:.

Keeping busy with cleaning out closets, cupboards, reading (thank you VMB for keeping Vegas close to my heart), Soduku puzzles, walking, a little TV, surfing the internet and a few other things. I am doing a little at a time as to have something on my 'to-do' list every day.

Yesterday I made a trip to Costco and a grocery store to stock my house with food (no junk!). I have been doing that about once every two weeks, so not out much at all. I managed to get to Costco right as they were opening to the general public (after senior hour) so very few folks there, which was perfect. I should be good for another couple of weeks with maybe only needed milk, although I did freeze some (I didn't know you could even do that :eek:)

I got a call about a week and half ago from my travel agent updating me on the current status of my Alaskan cruisetour, scheduled for August. (Princess). They are giving us a whopping additional 10 days to pay off or cancel (with full refund), which gives me until April 25th to make my decision. As of today, I am thinking I may cancel and re-book for next year. I am VERY sad about that, but last thing I want to do is get stuck on a cruise ship somewhere, because you know this 'thing' is not going to be completely eradicated by then.

So, I am looking forward to nicer weather so I can get out and at least walk or get out on my motorcycle for some much needed 'wind therapy'.

Stay healthy friends.....

• Like Like x 5
  11. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am off until at least May 1st. Actually, let me correct that. School is eLearning until then. I have to make myself available two hours a day - but since I am the Special Education Teacher in a general education classrooms - parents do not reach out. So basically, I do my daily errands (clean, cook, play video games, surf the internet) with my laptop at my side from 9-3 (even though I am only to work two hours a day). If I do get an e-mail, I will respond ASAP.

I work with the 5th Grade team and this week, we had two meetings (online) to discuss what to do for eLearning next week. It was very simple and straightforward. Our district (low income) is not prepared at all for eLearning and we are doing the best we can to make it all possible for all families - both tech and non-tech.

Meanwhile, I still have my job, benefits, and full pay. I just feel like I am not quite earning that paycheck - even though I am aware I am in a tough spot here. Hopefully the picture gets better soon. I sure miss my kiddos!

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 2
  12. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cook in an upscale retirement community that includes an Assisted living facility,since 3/16 the dining room has closed other then the assisted living one which is above the kitchen.Business as usual for the assisted living residents,3 meals a day.Nursing staff encouraging them to get room trays instead of going to dining room.Almost all comply..As of today one family member allowed to visit upstairs..
    But we are spending the days preparing meals for delivery to the general residents about 100+ a day..Soup to nuts...we are wearing masks which sucks and our temps are taken when we arrive at work.. too many people in close contact though to be comfortable about. Chef is daily trying to make some changes so the first case of an employee being positive doesn't take out the whole team..falling on deaf ears from the powers that be as they are used to being waited on hand and foot...
    Getting some compliments from the nice residents and complaints about this or that from the usual bitchers...
    I remind myself daily my bitch about this or that doesn't mean SHIT compared to the real deal on the front lines.

• Like Like x 7
  13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bravo to you. :clap:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DerbyCityGal

DerbyCityGal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still working since I am one of those "essential" grocery workers. Things have been really tough at work, but I am just glad not to be sick. Mostly people have been nice but I sure wish they would understand that we wouldn't be out of everything if they weren't panic buying! It's like a never ending snow scare here!!!
    We get a delivery every day and most everything comes in but as they say the early bird gets the worm and the later shoppers like to tell us that we never have anything.
    Things are getting better, I think people are either running out of money or don't have room to put anything else! I'm happy to still have a job, my husband is in the restaurant business and is out of work for who knows how long.
    Everyone take care of you and your loved ones, we will make it through this.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  15. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Sounds like a terrible situation. No family near by?

• Like Like x 2
  16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hand sanitizer, wipes, keep your distance, and shop during Senior Hours starting at 7 am. Plus, get a 1.75 liter bottle of Crown Royal and have a Manhattan.

As for my current situation: so far, so good. Both wife and daughter are working from home, both newbies. My daughter just started a new job about three weeks ago, I think the company is solid. I’m just hoping my wife doesn’t get laid off as she picks up our health benefits.

I’m self employed with many customers considered essential businesses, so I have that going for me. I can do most of it over the phone and customers understand if I’m unable to see them due to travel restrictions. I have zero business debt, my only real concern is my accounts receivable, all my trade credit is within 30 day terms. But look what can happen in 30 days. One of my suppliers is located in a county where the local sheriff is pulling over drivers, I had to supply him with a letter stating that my orders were going to an essential business.

Daughter does most of our grocery shopping, the local stores seem to have mostly all the staples save for TP and antibacterial wipes and sprays. Chicken is in short supply, although we just picked up a family pack of boneless breasts from Wegman’s, most of it went into the freezer. Picked up a couple whole chickens at Costco last week, makes me appreciate the $4.99 rotisserie birds.

I have some customers in the shellfish aquaculture business and another who exports lobster to Asia. Something like 70% of fresh seafood is consumed at restaurants and these guys went from being busy to having zero orders.

I seem to be using this self isolation as an excuse to have happy hour almost every night, but not to excess since I like drinking too much to have a problem with it.

I noticed we are running the dishwasher more often since all our meals are made at home, except for a take out pizza last Friday. Oh, we stopped at Victory brewery for their 3 for $10 crowler special, curbside delivery.

All in all, we are doing much better than most, we have our health for now, we can pay our bills.

• Like Like x 5
  17. joan o

joan o Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should be writing a trip report about a fun Vegas trip to celebrate my dad's 78th birthday on March 30, but instead, writing about being on the swab squad at our drive up COVID testing location. When I walked in and saw the right gear was available, I was more excited than hitting a royal flush.Today I'm home on call for the ER, for when the surge does hit. I live near Vail, and there are usually tons of happy people skiing on spring break. Vail shut down all its resorts March 15, the day after a friend from Vegas landed in Denver, so she just went back home and back to the front lines in a Vegas ER. Very grateful for good health and most neighbors practicing social distancing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  18. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wear a mask when you go out in public. If you cant find one, then sew one. If you can't sew, I'm sure someone on here can mail you a cloth one that they can make. (I can't sew.) At the very least, it will help keep you from touching your mouth/nose along with mildly protecting you if someone near you coughs/sneezes. Cloth masks aren't as good as the N95 masks which are only going to hospitals. Wash your hands like an OCD freak. If you can find a bottle of sanitizer-- keep it with you. Make sure you use it after you touch anything in public. My parents go the extra mile and also wear gloves when they are forced to go out.

The key is the not touching your face, washing hands constantly and not being around someone who is coughing/sneezing. The latter can be hard to do in some grocery stores/work environments. I think some cities should require face masks out in public. It won't stop all transmissions, but it will help.

Bottom line, stay safe.

• Like Like x 3
  19. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say that our Costco still had a nice selection of meat (although less chicken, but still available) as well as plenty in the produce room. I didn't check out the dairy room as I didn't need any, so don't know about the selection of milk or eggs. They had LOTS of paper towels but no TP. Also, no disinfecting wipes (no surprise).

The grocery store had good good selections as well, but again, there were about 4-6 pkgs of the cheap TP left, so I grabbed one (and because there is a limit of one, not that I needed more anyway since I live alone). Also, I was able to find some cleaning supplies which contained bleach, but again no wipes.

Hang in there folks, we will get through this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Suggestion in case you don’t already know. Remove 1 cup of milk before freezing.
    Milk expands when frozen and the container could burst in the freezer. Also the texture will change so I pour in another container after thawing and whisk it for a minute and then return to original container.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.