1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who does their own Oil changes?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BaileyPaws, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just curious. I would like to get a demographic of people who aren't on a car forum. Feel free to post pictures of your trials an tribulations if any? Its a pretty honest question. We won't judge ya!

2. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can just about change my underwear :D

I lease, so just take it in once a year and they do everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used to when I was younger many moons ago.

Now, you can find oil changes for just about what the oil and filter cost, and don't have to worry about where to dump the old oil.

Discarding the old oil is what makes it a pain in the ass to do it yourself nowadays

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not since I lived on the farm.
    We had a pit in the shed which made the work quick.
    Did oil changes for most of our neighbors back in the day.

Coupons from the dealer--plus the complimentary snacks and beverages--draw me in for the oil changes now.

RICHARD

• Like Like x 2
  5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did it for years, it is pretty easy considering there are YouTube videos.

As for disposing of waste oil, I believe any place that sells new oil is supposed to accept waste oil. I know my local Walmart accepts waste oil. So does Pep Boys.

The benefit of doing it yourself is that you know it’s done right. There are horror stories at some of the quick lube places.

My only beef is that the dealer that sold us my wife’s car has $30 conventional oil change coupons yet has recently recommended full synthetic oil changes for $50. I asked the service writer why the synthetic oil after 3 conventional oil changes, he gave me some bs answer that it was suggested by the manufacturer. I looked in the manual and it never mentioned synthetic, when I brought it to the attention of the service writer, he said that they sometimes make errors in the manual. A total D-bag.

Just check out Pep Boys, Advance, O’Riley, or Autozone for deals on oil. Buy a NAPA filter because the cheap Fram, STP, and Purolator filters sometimes break down and permit dirty oil to bypass the filter.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly.

I used to - many, many years ago. But these days...why would I? Hell, do modern cars even allow you to anymore? I had to dig through a half dozen layers of plastic cladding just to change my battery this summer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto says DH

• Like Like x 1
  8. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work on cars for a living both collision repair and mechanical... I do everything to my car myself except front-end alignments because we dont have a machine at my job...I do tons of side work for people also.

built many engines and even rebuilt the current transmission in my car now

9. joaks

joaks desert tortoise

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I change the oil on my vehicles. Mobil1 full synthetic and a good quality oil filter give me more peace of mind than the quick lube places for sure and I’m doing it for just under $30 a pop. Hard to find anyplace that does full synthetic in that range around here. Both our Honda and Subaru recommend the synthetic anyway.

Heres my best tip. A full size Listerine or equivalent mouthwash bottle with bottom cut off makes the best funnel money can buy! Keep the lid to put back on it and stuff it in a plastic bag between uses to keep it clean.

9DF1075A-323F-4EA2-93CF-1BC8FA4E1FD6.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  10. BigShot55

BigShot55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes for the older car unless in the shop for other repairs when it's due, no for the newer one (neither under warranty).

11. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No since my car is under warranty I have the dealer do them all so they have the records. They usually only charge about $20 anyway.

12. Goudy

Goudy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do nearly everything myself on my car minus fluids.

For oil specifically, I can get Mobile1 full synthetic with a car wash from the local dealer for $45 plus I load up on free coffee and pastries!

They try and get you with everything else though, for my 60k mile service they want $1200 for what’s basically belts, filters, and all fluids which is rediculous! I’ll do the belt and filter myself and go to a small shop for the fluids.

13. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I own a condo where they don't allow us to do any mechanical work (including oil changes) in our parking garage. So I have no choice, but to take it to the dealer or somewhere else for routine maintenance. Since I have a new SUV, I've been getting it done at the dealer, since I have complementary oil changes for the first year. Although, I only have one more free servicing, then I'll have to start paying.

Several years ago, I tried one of those quick oil change places (Jiffy Lube), since they were cheaper than the dealers or independent shops and they stripped the oil drain nut and it started leaking oil. After that experience, I'll never go to one of those place again for servicing.

Years ago, I use to do some of my own car maintenance, since we owned our own home with a 2 car garage. My dad was also a car guy, so our garage was well equipped. I use to help him with maintaining the family cars when I was growing up and learned a lot from my dad.

14. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both our current cars get free oil changes for life at the dealer. They do other fluids as required too.
    Last time I changed my own was for my 1947 MG TC which I have since sold.

15. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I change my own oil. It saves a few bucks and I can do in 20 minutes. I save up waste oil till I have 5 gallons and take it to Walmart. I do all other stuff like brakes if I have the tools. You Tube helps if it's something weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BadKarma

BadKarma Vegas Degenerate - Still Royal Flushless

Trips to Las Vegas:
    40 years later and I still change my own oil. Always have.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t touch anything on the car as I’m not mechanically inclined. But I never take it to a car wash. I live in NJ, and it gets washed in my driveway year round. I actually have some professional grade detailing tools.

18. smbrake

smbrake Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I change my own oil. My husband is a mechanic and doesn't trust the "techs" that work at the majority of places. He taught me how and now I do it everytime.

Mini Solo Getaway
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  19. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This millennial does not change his own oil. With the amount I drive and my car taking synthetic oil, I only need to get it changed once a year.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did up to a few years ago when I just got tired of unscrewing 16 screws to take the rubber protection off just to change the oil but I did o my own for 45 years.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.