1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is the most miles you have/had on a vehicle ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bernie2, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The most miles I've had on a vehicle (96 Camry 4 cylinder) 255K and then it was totaled. My vehicle that I now drive is an Accord 6 cylinder 172 K and I do like it .The Japanese certainly know how to build a quality vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a 1998 Camry and had 327k on it when we parted ways last June. The Minnesota winters had talked their toll on the body, but she was still running strong!

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Car I have purchased new: 60k before trading it in.

Car I have purchased used: Bought with 220,000km (imported from Canada) and it is at 222,000km now

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a fan of Japanese makes, including the majority of cars that are now built in North America. We also like KrautKars. And so many of those are now built here, too (but not ours).

I went just short of 300K on a similar-vintage Camry. Rolled close to 200,000 on a Scirocco. Only have 140K on my 11-year-old Ridgeline and nudging 100K on the 2010 Passat. (All miles.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never gone past 140,000 but have done so on a Celica, Toyota pick up truck, and a camry.

Annual me and Pete
  6. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a new SUV in December. The old one was 12 years old with over 217,000 original miles on it.
    The engine was about ready to blow! I knew it was time to buy new when I no longer trusted driving to
    the airport for our Las Vegas trips.

• Like Like x 3
  7. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to part ways with my Saturn this past Dec, it had 120,000 miles on it.

8. acccrow

acccrow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    215k on a Lexus ES300.

214k on a Toyota Solara.

It's been 20 years since I've driven anything but those two, except for the odd rental vehicle.

9. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun thread idea.......

1993 Honda Civic........sold to buddy @ 276K, still going 323K
    1994 Chev Van....... V6 sold @243, still going 260+K
    2007 Mazda 3.......sold couple weeks ago @ 217K

HS/College had a 67 VW bug.......went over 300K but that was three engines and two gearboxes and weekly tinkering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    currently i get to drive an 02 CLK 320 with 347k km so whatever that works out to in miles 200k? Runs great but has some rust. Got a conditinoal pass on emissions test this year, good until October 2019 then if we want it, a new catalytic converter - @ 2k that will not be spent. Put in @ $1,500 this year into it.I guess that is still cheaper than a new one but, sitting on the highway with a fried alternator isn't that much fun either..Looking on line for replacement and too busy to take anything out for a spin but, soon!

11. Char in Seattle

Char in Seattle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 332k on my 1990 S10 Blazer. It is my daily driver. Still get lots of compliments on it when I'm out driving. Once while filing with gas at Costco the attendant was going on and on about how cool it was the lady driving a Lexus ahead of me just kept looking back at my car and probably wondering what the heck he was talking about.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1983 Chevy C10 Silverado 360,000 when it burned in a garage fire in 2000 and still had tons of backroad hunting too do. I even shot it once. My Dad gave it to me for graduating high school, 2 years after I graduated.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought an inexpensive old Mercedes on Craigslist with about 260k miles. "How bad could it be?", I thought. "They keep these things running in sub-Saharan Africa for twice that long. Surely this car has been well cared for, given its pristine physical appearance and the fact it was able to roll over the quarter million mark in the first place."

I was not a smart man at that age. Few months later my mechanic offered me 2/3 what I paid for it and I jumped at the opportunity. I still want another one, badly, but it's going to wait until I can actually afford it.

EDC
  14. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Toyota owner exclusively, currently running 189K on an '04 Corolla and it runs very well at that. I have never had a car run so well that late on the mileage. But it's why I say exclusively.

I'll run it so long as mechanical issues/costs don't give cause to get rid of it. I am a firm believer in "vehicles as utility" and not a "fashion statement", as they are horrible investments, so I drive them until they die or have a repair that exceeds the worth.

I have never lost a Toyota to mechanical failure in over 20 years of ownership. It was someone backing into us at a tollbooth, or hitting the driver's side door at the hinge that caused us to say "we should replace". But it took someone doing something to it, as opposed to mechanical failure. They know how to build reliable cars for the masses, and I'm of the school that first and foremost, it just has to work. I am especially appreciative of the basic models they have built over and over (Camry/Corolla), and as other models get into the decades of production they come along, too. Tacomas are fantastic as well.

And as one other Toyota owner mentioned, this seems to apply to US produced as well as others. It's in the engineering and methodology that Toyota succeeds, and it seems it translates well across oceans. That said, I still would take the all Japan produced models for quality rating over anything else, but their US product is pretty good too. The NUMMI/Fremont Ca UAW plant that built the GM/Toyota vehicles through 2010 (Prizm/Corolla/Matrix/Vibe) was on par with the absolute best in quality/reliability (save for the GM alternators). There has been no better "average joe" car ever produced from a pure utility perspective IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Put 200K+ each on a couple of VWs, 81 Rabbit and a 90 Jetta GLI. Recent cars have been less, don't drive as much as I used to.

16. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a 99 Camry with 235000 on it, and an 02 LeSabre with 255000.

No payments for 15 years is nice!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. acccrow

acccrow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That reminds me of one of my favorite "isn't life funny" stories.

In almost 40 years of driving, I've only had one new car. An '87 Chevy Corsica.

The first week I owned it, I was on my way to McDonald's, right in the middle of a fairly good sized city, and a deer ran into it. Had to replace most of the front end and the driver's side quarter panel.

The seventh week I owned it, I was on my way to visit my parents, it was dark, and I saw the dead deer lying in the road about 0.25 seconds before I ran over it. Which tore off a fairly good chunk of the front end and the entire exhaust system.

Two years passed, with no additional wildlife attacking my health or net worth. One evening I'm on my way home from work and stopped at a store. Had trouble getting out driver's door and it made an odd noise so I got out the other side. I think nothing of it and figure to look at it when I get home. So I get home, pull in the driveway, and open up the door. And it falls off the car and into the yard. Both hinges broke at once.

The BEST part of that story is that I went to the mailbox after swearing a blue streak and kicking the car many, many times. And IN that mailbox is a recall notice from GM. For door hinges.

• Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we sold our 10 year old Saturn sl (1997) it had close to 350,000 km on it. It had about 30,000 when we bought it. Well loved little car.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Geo Metro had 170K on it when we donated it to a local charity auction. I still see it around here now and then, but I have no idea how many miles they've put on it since. :)

Our 2009 Corolla we just traded in had 150k miles. The 1999 Tacoma my husband sometimes drives has close to 160k.

20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    171K it needs to go much longer because my SO won't let me buy a new one. :cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.